On the 12th day of the Eurocentrically imposed midwinter festival, my Significant Other in a consenting adult, monogamous relationship gave to me:
- TWELVE males reclaiming their inner warrior through ritual drumming,
- ELEVEN pipers piping (plus the 18-member pit orchestra made up of members in good standing of the Musicians Equity Union as called for in their union contract even though they will not be asked to play a note),
- TEN melanin deprived testosterone-poisoned scions of the patriarchal ruling class system leaping,
- NINE persons engaged in rhythmic self-expression,
- EIGHT economically disadvantaged female persons stealing milk-products from enslaved Bovine-Americans,
- SEVEN endangered swans swimming on federally protected wetlands,
- SIX enslaved Fowl-Americans producing stolen non-human animal products,
- FIVE golden symbols of culturally sanctioned enforced domestic incarceration, (NOTE: after members of the Animal Liberation Front threatened to throw red paint at my computer, the calling birds, French hens and partridge have been reintroduced to their native habitat. To avoid further Animal-American enslavement, the remaining gift package has been revised.)
- FOUR hours of recorded whale songs
- THREE deconstructionist poets
- TWO Sierra Club calendars printed on recycled processed tree carcasses and…
- ONE Spotted Owl activist chained to an old-growth pear tree.
Merry Christmas. Happy Chanukah. Good Kwanzaa. Blessed Yule. Happy Holidays!!!! (unless otherwise prohibited by law) **Unless, of course, you are suffering from Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD). If this be the case, please substitute this gratuitous call for celebration with suggestion that you have a thoroughly adequate day.
You’ve all heard the Democratic narrative that Republicans need to make themselves more appealing to Hispanic voters in order to win elections right? Well apparently some our alleged conservatives from years past have taken this narrative to heart. The most popular Republicans following the 2012 elections were Representative Paul Ryan from Wisconsin and Senator Marco Rubio from Florida. Since then Marco Rubio has done everything, and I mean everything, to pass an amnesty bill, up to and including lying to the American populace regarding its so-called border security measures.
Although the Senate bill passed into the House–like a gall-stone–it has been named dead on arrival. Unfortunately another chess piece, namely the tarnished white knight Paul Ryan, has been rumored to have his own version of the amnesty bill to be brought up before the House in the hopes that it will go to conference and ultimately pass into law. All this in the name of, “I want to run for president in 2016.”
Of course the idea that Democrats want to help Republicans by offering up one of their largest voting blocks is absolutely absurd, but shall we fast forward to today’s politics. Both Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio have had their approval ratings plummet, falling several points behind Tea Party favorites such as Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, and even the massively progressive Chris Christie (must be embarrassing). So now we see Marco Rubio turning around and denouncing his own amnesty bill in fear that in an attempt to “win Hispanics” he has angered his conservative base.
The most promising bit of political analysis is actually (shockingly) found in Ken Cuccinelli’s defeat in the race for Virginia governor. Cuccinelli was known by the media as a sure fired loser. Double digits behind his opponent as Democrats poured money into both their candidate and even a Libertarian to sway votes away, there was absolutely no way Cuccinelli could ever dream of winning…until three days before the election. Suddenly, Cuccinelli sweeps up in the polls and despite the DNC, the Libertarians, and even the RNC opposing him, he almost won the Virginia governorship just by being conservative and taking a stand against Obamacare. Perhaps alleged losers like Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio should stop acting like Democrats and start fulfilling campaign promises by being conservative.
“The board is set. The pieces are moving.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
I once got into a discussion on Facebook with a friend of mine from high school regarding the history of oil and gas prices. He believes that “green” energy is the only way to become energy independent and that the U.S. is unfairly using more than it’s share of the world’s oil, citing the alleged fact that we produce 20% of the supply but use 80% of it. This was my rather lengthy reply.
In 1973 the Nixon administration (yes a Republican) began over-regulating the production of oil in the U.S. making it necessary to increase foreign imports (up to 35% of U.S. consumption). In the same year, the U.S. sent military assistance to Israel who had been attacked by members of OPEC. In retaliation OPEC placed an oil embargo on the U.S. and increased the price for other nations by 70%. Oil in the U.S. then had to be rationed to the people (you could only get gas at certain times, and never on Sundays).
Since then, more and more regulations have been put on U.S. production of oil starting with Carter’s MEOW initiative and creation of the Department of Energy, making it harder and harder to drill for domestic oil and causing us to be more and more dependent on foreign oil. This is not, as some would have us believe, because we are “running out of oil.” The U.S. is sitting on one of the largest oil reservoirs in the world, an estimated 2.3 trillion barrels (300 years) worth to be exact. It is current technology and excessive regulation that is preventing us from getting at it.
The 20% and 80% figures that the Obama used in his reelection speech are blatantly stretched considering that those figures only apply to current tapped reserves; they do not include the amount of oil that is not being drilled or used in the current economy. So yes the U.S. government is being selfish because we refuse to drill for our own oil and would rather drain the supplies of other nations instead.